Monday, November 2, 2009

Lightpainting




I've been wanting to try "lightpainting" for a while now and these are some of my first attempts. I've been inspired by a great photographer Dave Black and his book, The Way I See It. I am having a ball with the technique of lightpainting. I'll explain a bit about how I created these images. First, wait until the sun has gone down and kids are asleep, or at least on their way. With the camera secure on a tripod I set up the composition and pre-focus. I then turn off all lights so there is complete darkness. The shutter opens and I begin "painting" the subject with light coming from a small flashlight. The longer the flashlight stays in one spot the brighter that spot will render, so I'm constantly moving the light around for roughly 45 seconds. Each picture is different and I'm finding it takes a bit of practice.
The keys and the plane belonged to my grandfather and the baseball glove is my son's.
Let me know what you think and as always, click on the image to see it larger.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Thanks Patty!

Unknown said...

Anthony - LOVE the keys - this is really neat! :)